Sunday, June 1, 2014

Yay for Transfer Day!

 
In terms of surrogacy journeys, ours has been quick, and relatively easy.  Some matches take upwards of six months, or even years, so for us to go from matching to transfer in just a matter of months is quite expeditious.  Kerri and I are both super competitive and persistent.  When we want something, we will have it.  It may not always be through the quickest or easiest route, but we will get there.  This journey proves that without a doubt.  

Umpteen doctor appointments, meetings with attorneys, psychologist, acupuncturist, etc. all led to “the” day. My emotions were all over the place. I was excited, proud, nervous, scared, and thrilled all at the same time.  As all over the place as I was feeling, I tried to imagine what Kerri and Jason must be feeling.  It’s no secret that I have no issues with fertility and getting pregnant.  I can’t pretend to know what Kerri and Jason have been through.  To suffer the loss, pain, and heartache they have is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.  While I wish I could take all the pain away from them, and wish Kerri could carry their baby herself, I am thankful that this journey and their struggle brought us together.  

When we arrived at the RE’s office, we met Jason and Kerri in the parking lot, where we exchanged nervous hugs and I gave them their transfer gift.  I spent quite a bit of time thinking about an appropriate gift, and finally decided on a card and plant.  Not just any plant, but an everbearing strawberry plant.  I loved the meaning and symbolism that comes with the name “everbearing.”  They gave both Chris and I the most thoughtful gifts, including our transfer t-shirts for our “womb divided.” Chris and I are die hard University of Georgia fans, while Kerri and Jason have the misfortune of being alumni from some little colleges in Florida, called The University of Florida, and Florida State University, respectively.  (Football season should be interesting.) My shirt is a maternity shirt that sported the UGA “G” and said “Who’s Your Daddy.” How awesome is that??! There was also a UGA shirt for Chris, and Kerri and Jason were decked out in their horrid Gator and Seminole wear.  

When we finally made our way into the transfer room, things got a little surreal.  It was hard to believe that we had finally made it.  The transfer itself is fascinating.  We were all able to watch via an ultrasound the embryo being placed in my uterus.  I know I’m biased, but that was the cutest little embryo I’ve ever seen.  Now the longest 10 days ever begins.  Years of hope, loss, heartache, pain, procedures, meds, etc. all lead here.  I’m so pleased and honored that Kerri and Jason chose me.  And trust me.  And here’s to that little embie sticking around for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment